Should You Clean The Moss And Algae Off Your Shingles?

As a homeowner, you've likely seen moss building up on your shingles over the years. Part of you likes how the moss looks, but another part worries about how it is affecting your shingles. Can you keep moss on your shingles to create an intriguing style or do you need to clean it off?

Aesthetic Appeal Of Mossy Shingles

So moss has grown up heavily on your shingles and you kind of like how it looks. That's understandable: there is a certain "old-fashioned" aesthetic appeal to moss-grown homes. Just think of ancient European castles and their mossy exteriors. Leaving moss on your shingles can create the same kind of "old-school" look.

The Problems Caused By Moss

While moss may look appealing to some people, there's no doubt that it does serious damage to your shingles. For example, when moss grows, it expands in multiple directions and tries to fit anywhere it can. Which means it's likely to end up in the cracks between your shingles, pushing them apart and causing slight damage.

While that slight damage may not seem severe, it opens up the under layer of your roof to water damage. So when it rains or snows, that water will eat away at your underlayment and can cause leaks and other serious damage. That damage can quickly spread and cause widespread roofing failure.

Can You Leave Moss On Your Roof?

Unfortunately, the damage caused by moss far outweighs its aesthetic appeal, so you need to clean it off as soon as possible. However, you can still create a mossy look by purchasing artificial moss sheets for your roof. These sheets come in a variety of shapes, colors, and sizes (including letters), meaning you can have a moss roof without running the risk of damage. First of all, however, you need to clean your roof.

Cleaning It Off

The easiest way to get mold off your roof is to spray wash it. However, it is important to avoid power or pressure washers: these are much too powerful. They are likely to actually blast a shingle or two off of your roof. A good cleaning mixture is about 50-50 water and bleach. Spray wash the mold and most of it should fall off immediately. The rest will die shortly thereafter. Once you're finished, spray pure water on the shingles to remove the bleach: otherwise, your shingles will get damaged. It should take no more than 10-20 minutes.

Unfortunately, if your shingles get too damaged or stained by mold, you may have to get new ones installed. After all, that damage may lead to leaks or other problems that you should avoid as much as possible. Contact a company like Lassiter Roofing Team for more information or assistance.


Share